Friday, December 14, 2018

Mrs Kake's Amazing Singing Group - Bringing our new whakataukī to life!

Ki ora e te whanau,

I wanted to share with you a little something about the singing group I got to work with this year.

14 tamariki / 3 full school days / time in a recording studio / air time on More FM!
Yes that all happened…and before the end of the school year. 
Here’s my not very brief summary of the process.

Every year I get to work with a talented group of singers and come up with something they can perform for an audience.
This year I decided they could write, sing and perform an original piece. I told them they would be writing a song for our kura that represents who we are here at Kaurihohore School.
In the 3 days given they pulled it off, and they performed for some of the classes on their last afternoon together. 

I wasn’t ready for it to be over, so with the help and support of Hannah Young & Dan Stenhouse (Director of Creative Lab) the tamariki went on to record their waiata, in a real studio situation. They had to fundraise the money to pay for it, and managed to raise just over half of it during our school market day. A big thanks to those that supported them! The tamariki were extremely lucky to be given a koha to cover the rest, from an anonymous donor…THANK YOU!!!!!!! 
They were amazing throughout this process and got the job done in 6hours, spread over 3 days, and they absolutely loved the experience.
I was still not quite satisfied, so I called up More FM and asked if they would consider giving the kids song some air time…they agreed!
I chose 2 students to come to the radio station with me to talk about their journey with this song…this will be aired Thursday 20th on the brekky show.

I’m now looking at trying to get a video done for the song too…here’s hoping!
A massive thanks to…

…Hannah Young, for your support and guidance!
…Dan Stenhouse, for your time, patience and expertise!
…’Robin’ our anonymous donor!
…all the whanau of the tamariki that trusted in me to take their tamariki on this journey!
…the staff at Kaurihohore for supporting me when I had to leave during school hours
…More Fm, for giving the tamariki air time for their waiata!
…Last but not least, the awesome, amazing & talented tamariki I got to work with!


Charlie Hammond
Raewyn Strydom
Rachael Jackson
Shaiyan Adam
Lilli-Jade Nonia
Charli Mcdonnell
Petina-Rose Randell
Shyloh  Moorehouse-Wyatt
Megan Pascoe
Mia Abbott
Rebekah Nattrass
Giselle Te-Rangi
Jordan Young
Lily Young

-Mrs Kake





















No comments: